Monday, February 16, 2009

Deep in the Heart of Texas
















On Friday morning I was so excited to get going, but Caleb and I were running late. I forgot the camera, my coat, and driving directions. We were 30 minutes behind schedule. I dropped Caleb off at daycare and made a quick dash to my Aunt Marla's house and we went straight to the airport. My flight was scheduled to leave in 30 minutes. The baggage check in line was forever long. I decided to carry my bags. While going through the security line my bag was stopped and they took my lotion and Neal's cologne away. I was in such a rush that I told them to keep it and ran. I made it to the gate just as they were boarding. Close call.
I had a layover in Los Angeles and then I went on to San Antonio. I sat next to a lady on the plane that was from San Antonio and she told me all about the history of where I was going.
After the plane I waited for the rental car company to pick me up, and then when I got on the bus to go get my car a woman handed me a yellow rose and wished me a happy Valentine's Day.
When I got to the rental place they did not have any more of the cars that I had rented so they asked me what I wanted. I told them something in red would be fun. They only had Dodge Chargers left in red so I picked a cherry red one. Just what Neal would have picked. All weekend long people kept asking me if it was my Valentine's present, and I said that I got my choice of cars and colors- why not pick the fun one?
I had to wait for Neal a bit before they were released for the evening. I used the GPS to direct me to where he was. The GPS was a tad lost all weekend, apparently it doesn't like road construction and dead ends.
I was so excited to finally see Neal when he was released for the evening. We went straight to the Texas Roadhouse to get take out. I figured that while I was in Texas I would have to eat there even though they have them all over the place. Our order got messed up and we had double of everything and no fridge to store leftovers in. I felt bad about wasting all that food.
We checked into the Ayres Inn. Gorgeous B&B! Loved it! (www.1908AyresInn.com) We ate dinner and then I fell asleep on the comfy memory foam bed. Neal set an alarm to wake us up, I guess he was tired too. Then I took him back to the base and returned back to the B&B.
The next morning I went to get Neal so he could eat a yummy breakfast with me at the B&B. Then we went to the Riverwalk to spend the day. We started out at the Alamo. I was most looking forward to this on the trip. They were having a re-enactment day, so we got to watch a little bit of that. We wandered around for a few minutes, and then went to the Riverwalk shopping. We looked around for a while and then went on a tour of the river on a boat tour. It was a lot bigger than I thought and it was neat to hear about all of the history. Then we went to eat- we were hungry. I spotted a chocolate store so we had to go get chocolate covered strawberries. Then we made it back to the parking lot and went back to the B&B. Neal watched a movie and I took another nap. I guess I couldn't get enough of that nice bed... (Sorry Neal that I was so tired.)
When I woke up we went walking around the neighborhood and spotted a Mexican Restuaurant- La Fonda. We ate there and then we found an icecream place. We went back to the B&B and watched TV, and then I took Neal back to the base.
On Sunday I went to sacrement with Neal on the base. There were only about 40-50 people there. The people giving the talks that day also had the last name Rogers, and everytime they said Sister Rogers will be speaking- my heart gave a little jump. Glad it wasn't me!
After sacrement we went to check out of the B&B and eat breakfast. Then we went window shopping because we didn't have anywhere else to go and didn't want to stay on the base.
Then we picked up one of Neal's friends on the base and went to take the car back. Then we went to the airport and had to say goodbye again. I hate those goodbye moments. I can't wait until he gets to come home again.
My flight back was uneventful, except I was happy to discover a Paradise Bakery in the Denver airport. I was starving!
My Aunt Marla picked me up and little Caleb was with her. We spent the night at her house and went home the next morning. It was a great trip, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to go! I do miss the Texas warm weather though, 29 degrees in Utah is rather chilly...

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I'm so glad that you had the chance to go see your sweety. Hang in there.

Emily said...

I'm glad your weekend went so well and that you were able to see Neal!