Tuesday, April 7, 2009

He's Three Already?

Wow! I can't believe that our little guy is three already. Time flies!
This weekend we went to visit my mom in Idaho Falls in her new home and to celebrate Caleb's birthday. We stopped off in Logan to see my cousin Emily and drop off material to them to make my nursery bedding.
On Saturday we went to pick up my mom at dialysis. Caleb loves his grandma and grandpa. He keeps telling me that they are going to come see him.
After picking my mom up we went to Rexburg to eat lunch with my Uncle Chris and his family. Then we went to see my grandma's house one last time. I started bawling the minute I walked in. My mom told me that I shouldn't go see her house because it would upset me, but I told her that I would always regret seeing her empty home if I didn't go. It seemed like a much bigger home with everything out of it. I have so many fond memories of her home. I lived there while I was in college, and despite all the 70's decor I will miss it tremendously. Caleb met me upstairs and gave me a hug as he saw my crying. I walked in each room to say goodbye. Then Caleb, without prompting, insisted that we scoot on our bottoms down each step. I told him that I used to do that as a kid. It made me smile.
Then we went to the cemetary so I could see my grandma's headstone again. I don't know when I will be in Rexburg again. I whispered to her, "God be with you till we meet again..." I miss everything about her, but most of all I miss being able to talk with her or get a yummy recipe. She was an amazing elite woman. I am blessed to have known her.
After our trip to Rexburg we went to my mom's house for naptime and then we went to feed the ducks at the Idaho Falls temple. Caleb was so excited that the ducks would come right up to him. He giggled everytime they came to eat out of my hand. He was sad to leave them.
Then we went to dinner at Johnny Carino's and then to let Caleb pick out a birthday present. He picked a Thomas the Train set. He takes the trains everywhere including the bathtub!
That night Caleb didn't sleep much and insisted on watching movies at 3 a.m. It was a long night! Reminds me of the night before he was born...
Sunday was Caleb's birthday. As soon as he woke up he wanted to eat his birthday cake. He couldn't wait any longer! He was so excited. He picked out a cake at our favorite bakery, Dippidee. He helped pass out cake to grandma and grandpa and then he insisted on giving Dezidog a piece too. What a silly, sweet kid!
Sunday was a long drive home, but Caleb slept most of the way home. I guess he was making up for lost time.

Things I would like to remember about Caleb at this age:
He is a very sensitive and caring child. Whenever he sees something sad he feels bad and wants to help.
He still likes to be carried everywhere, much to his mother's demise.
He has finally abandoned his soothie!
He loves Curious George, Word World, and Thomas the Train.
He hates having his clothes changed. If it were up to him he would wear the same outfit for weeks.
He likes to pretend to drive the car.
He loves tractors and trucks and demands to sit in one anytime he is allowed.
His best friend is a girl.
He loves to play with our Dezidog.
He loves to watch home movies and have books read to him.
He can navigate on the computer pretty well for his age.
He loves to be chased.
He is scared of the vacuum.
He hates taking a bath.
He misses his daddy.
He hangs up on people on the phone.
He still takes naps.
He loves to help cook and lick the beaters.
He could eat an entire can of olives or a jar of pickles if I let him.
He is daring.
We love him!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I feel the same way about your grandma and her house :(

Emery said...

Sweet remembrances. 3 really is such a darling age.